Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dahlia Care

I have a wedding to do next August with dahlias.  I knew to put the fresh cut flower stems in water that I boiled for a few minutes.  But I have just learned that if you harvest them the night before, boil and pour into a heavy vase and then put your dahlia stems (cutting off lower foliage) in the hot water, making sure they face outward so as leaves won't be damaged by steam, and then leave overnight to cool to room temperature, your flowers may last up to 5 days afterwards. Normally, you get about two days after you cut them. You can cut your stem off to any length afterwards cutting the brown area off left by the boiling water.

Remember that dahlias are heavy drinkers and if you are making your own bouquets, they need water, don't let them sit out when not in use.

Thanks to Leanne @ Floral Design Institute for her extra tidbit of info!

If you would like to order flowers:  http://www.edenscapes1.com

You can see what others have said about EdenScapes on trip adviser.  I've had several surprised visits from people who found me through them and told me that I had some great reviews.  It was a nice surprise.

You can also find me on http://www.bloomnation.com and put in 98362

I'm on facebook:  put in search for Peacock Florist and Gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment